Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sequel of Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na ?

A still from Jaane Tu...Ya Jaane  Na

Now that Abbas Tyrewala’s Jaane Tu… Ya Jaane Na, has given audience characters that they’d like to carry home, the film is being touted as a hit. The result is predictable. Its filmmakers are reportedly already thinking of a sequel to this bubblegum romance.

Says Imran Khan, the hero of the film, “We used to joke about it on the sets all the time and even decided to name the sequel Jaane 2… If my director Abbas wants to do a sequel we could, but it would depend entirely on the script. Just because we have been successful once does not mean that we will be able to pull it off again.

Take the case of the American serial Friends, it was very interesting when it began, but it dragged on for 10 years. I was bored and tired of it by then. Jaane Tu… turned out so well because of the script. Abbas used every cliché connected with romantic films and turned it into something exciting.”

Sources say that the film, and its characters, was written with a sequel in mind.

Meanwhile, director Abbas Tyrewala fights shy of revealing any immediate plans for a sequel. Though he does not rule out the idea of making a sequel either.

Abbas says, “I can barely keep myself focused on one idea for the length of a film. I guess for some directors the story the audience would like to hear is the first commitment. But for me the story I would enjoy telling comes first.

Maybe I would go back to the characters in Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na once they become strangers to me. It would then be fascinating enough to explore how their lives turned out.

At the moment, I would like to make an adult romantic comedy where the disasters that occur in the lives of the characters are closer to the ones in real lives.

Jaane Tu... is the most naïve film I have ever written and that I’ll make. Now I want to make a film that connects with 20-plus and 30-plus audience the way Jaane Tu… did with teenagers.”

The characters of Jaane Tu… could grow up, right?

No comments:

Label Cloud