Friday, July 25, 2008

RGV doesn’t need black magicians

Ram Gopal Varma Bollywood’s dark-films’ director, Ram Gopal Varma is ready with yet another film, this one titled ‘Phoonk’, a super-natural thriller that stars debutantes and stage artistes and toys with the existence of black magic.

Now with a subject as dark and mysterious as this one, it almost comes across as obvious that RGV would have had a hard time throwing light on this subject. But ask the man himself and he says, “Well, most of my research was about the reactions people develop when they come across something super natural, especially something that’s evil.”

So does that mean that RGV did not interact with any supposed black magicians during the pre-production course or even while making the film? A nonchalant RGV replies, “I did not stumble upon any such black magic practitioners while making Phoonk . Nor did I feel the need to go and interact with so-called black magicians. Thank you very much but I wouldn’t need them around my film.”

So while that translates Phoonk into a work of imagination based on emotions encountered by RGV on mere mention of super-natural incidents, we wonder if the director believes in the existence of black magic at all. And once again, Ramu doesn’t fail to amuse us with his whims.

“I don’t believe in the existence of super-natural powers, be it evil or divine. Honestly, I am too small in the universe’s scheme of things for my take to matter. Whether I believe in black magic or not, I have to admit that the thought of it being real is spine-chilling and that exactly the focus of Phoonk too,” concludes Ramu.

No comments:

Label Cloud