Sunday, July 6, 2008

I used to use Imran to get introduced to girls: Aamir

KHAN CONNECTION: Imran was a gentle kid so it was very easy to bully him, says Aamir Khan.

Twenty years ago he made a splash as the country’s new heartthrob with his debut in Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak.Today superstar Aamir Khan is introducing a new face in the industry –his nephew Imran Khan who makes his debut this Friday with Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Naa.This is a launch that will be watched and judged closely like just likeAamir judged two decades ago. CNN-IBN Entertainment Editor RajeevMasand in conversation with the two Khans.

Rajeev Masand: As someone who has seen Imran grow up in front of your eyes, what sort of a child was he – mischievous, quiet or all into one?

Aamir Khan: He was a very gentle kid. Very nice and easy to bully. Most of the time I would be like ‘Imran paani lao’ or ‘there is a book lying there, get it for me’.

Rajeev Masand: You also apparently used him to get introduced to a couple of girls.

Aamir Khan:Yes, all the time. In fact I was about 20 or 21 when he was three orfour. So I would take him around for walks in Pali Hill and the all thegirls would come to see him and talk to me. In fact I still do that.

Rajeev Masand: Did you expect him to come and say that he wants to be an actor? Or did you expect to see him as an actor someday?

Aamir Khan:No I didn’t, actually. I never thought he would act in Indian filmsbecause he didn’t know Hindi. He hardly ever spoke the language andeven when he did, he had a very strong accent. So when he did come andsay that he wanted to act, my reaction was ‘in Hindi?’ But then he ofcourse worked on his language and got around it.

Rajeev Masand: Not many people know that this is not the first time that Imran is facing the camera. He played little Aamir in both Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak and Jo Jeeta Wahi Sikandar. Imran you have any memories from those shoots?

Imran Khan: Yes, I do from Jo Jeeta Wahi Sikandar. I remember having a lot of fun. I do remember that Aamir used to do my makeup.

Aamir Khan: He was a good kid on the sets. He would even take his pants down when instructed (laughs out loud).

Imran Khan:You know they didn’t tell me about that before the shoot. It was acomplete surprise for me. Mansoor said you know how to ride a cycle andI said yes. Then he asked you know how to do it standing and I said, ofcourse. So I stand and start cycling and suddenly I feel cold air on myrear.


Rajeev Masand: Wehave a little game for you. We will ask Aamir five questions aboutImran and vice versa. So that we can find out how well you both knoweach other. Of course the game is called Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Naa.

Questions for Imran:

Question 1: Name two films in which Aamir played himself.

Imran Khan: Damini and…I can’t remember the other one.

Aamir Khan: It was in Ashutosh Gowarikar’s first film called Pehla Nasha. There was a scene in which there was Shah Rukh, Saif, me and another actor.

Question 2: Name the actress Aamir has done maximum films with. How many and also name the film.

Imran Khan: It’s got to be Juhi Chawla. And the films are Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak, Love Love Love, Hum Hai Rahi Pyaar Ke, Ishq, Tum Mere Ho…there are couple of your films that I haven’t seen like Aatanq Hi Aatanq

Aamir Khan: There were two more, Aatanq Hi Aatanq and Daulat Ki Jung.

Question 3: Name the director apart from Mansoor Khan that Aamir has done maximum films with.

Imran Khan: Indra Kumar and the films were Dil, Ishq and Mann.

Question 4: How many runs did Aamir’s character Bhuvan make in Lagaan?

Imran Khan: (After a long silence) It was over a 100, I remember that. I think it was 125.

Aamir Khan: It was 144 not out.

Question 5: In QSQT, Raj, Aamir’s character, crashes a party to see Rashmi (Juhi) pretending to be someone else. Who does he pretend to be?

Imran Khan: Roop Singh.

Imran’s score: 2.5 out of 5

Questions for Aamir:

Question 1: How many schools has Imran attended in all? And name them too.

Aamir Khan:He has flunked so many times that it is difficult to remember now.Toddlers Academy, I used to go and pick him up so I know this one. ThenBombay Scottish, Valley School, Gede…then he gave his 10 standard…heyweren’t you in a Coonoor school as well? Okay, I guess that is the bestI could do.

Imran Khan: He missed two – Holy Innocence in Wellington and Blue Mountain.

Aamir Khan: I at least remembered four out of six…and all the weirdest of schools. Has anyone heard of Gede?

Imran Khan: There is one more actually in the US.

Aamir Khan: Ye loh! Khudh hi bhool gaya (There! He has forgotten himself).

Question 2: Who is Imran’s favourite contemporary actress?

Aamir Khan: You know I am doing this role in Gajiniwhere I have a short term memory loss problem….(laughs) So I think amgetting a bit too much into the character. I wouldn’t know…let me takea guess, Juhi?

Imran Khan: But she isn't working any more.

Aamir Khan: Okay! Now I want to hear him say that Juhi is not his favourite (laughs).

Imran Khan: Kareena.

Question 3: What gift did you give Imran on his 12th birthday?

Imran Khan: Here's a hint – it was something that you had and I wanted.

Aamir Khan: My Swiss pen knife.

Question 4: Imran made a graduation film at the New York Film Academy. Name the film.

Aamir Khan: It had something to do with Dracula... I don't know, I have no idea. Or maybe Malegaon Ke Superman (laughs).

Imran Khan: It is called The Landlady.

Question 5: Imran has precisely one tattoo on his body. Where and what is it?

Aamir Khan: It is on the back of his neck and it is a circular thing with stuff coming out of it.

Rajeev Masand: Imran, tell us a little about your first day of shooting Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Naa.

Imran Khan: Of course I do. But the first scene that I shot was finally cut from the film.

Rajeev Masand: Aamir, did you have any tips or words of advise as an actor for him before he set out for his first day?

Aamir Khan:Ya, I told him watch out for your twitching left eyebrow. No, I didn'treally give him any advise. I thought he should figure out for himselfwhat and how he should do. And that is how it should be.

Audience question: Who according to you is the best actor in the industry?

Imran Khan: Hrithik Roshan.

Audience question: Do you see a lot of yourself in Imran?

Aamir Khan: Yes, he is as tall as I am (laughs).

The show was wrapped up with Imran singing Kabhi Kabhi Aditi from the film Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Naa.

No comments:

Label Cloud