Sunday, July 6, 2008

Zayed’s co-star resorts to hockey stick

Zayed Khan Mission Istanbul is an out-and-out action thriller, which is considered to be a male domain in B-town. What does it have in store for a debutante actress?

I play an undercover agent who is glamorous but equally action-oriented. And though Lisa plays love interest to Vikas (Zayed’s character), she is extremely head-strong about her mission. In fact, what distinguishes her from run-of-the-mill government spies is that she is not just her hero’s puppet; till the end, she keeps the audiences guessing where her loyalties actually lie.

The film boasts of some stupendous stunt scenes by Viveik and Zayed. Do you share frames with them in stunt-sequences. Did you undergo special training for the same?

Yes, I do share quite a few stunt scenes with both, Viveik and Zayed. In fact, I underwent about three weeks of training along with both of them to get into the shoes of my character. While it was definitely not a piece of cake, the fun part came when I got to resort to hockey sticks, chains and car-smashing. Yes, I actually got to drive a Mahindra Scorpio and then smash it!

At this revelation, we asked Shweta how difficult was it to shoot the scene among an all men-crew. Did she encounter the usual ‘women can’t drive’ snares?

No, not at all. In fact, I was conscious since I had to drive down a huge vehicle like Scorpio on a narrow road. To top that, I kept on looking in the right-hand rear-view mirror even though it was a left-hand drive since that’s what we are used to in India. But the sweetheart that Zayed is, he constantly kept reminding me to look into the left-side mirror.

What is the rapport that you shared with Viveik Oberoi? Was it that between two co-stars or that of an experienced star with a debutante?

Well, it would be difficult to classify it under any one category since both are overlapping. But what I can really say about Viveik is that he is a methodical actor. I remember this one scene where I was supposed to shed tears and I just couldn’t. That’s when I looked up at him for help and he told me, just go choke yourself with all the stuff that you hate and you are sure to land up in tears!

What about female bonding on the sets of an action-thriller. Did you and Shriya Saran share a mutual admiration society after all the tough treks you had to encounter in the terrains of Turkey?

(Giggles) Well, I am all for Shriya. She is the one who adds that Indian touch to the film. Having said that, I must admit that I did not get to bond with her on the sets since we were part of different shoot schedules. The only time I caught up with her was when I encountered her at a shopping mall. However, I know of her before Mission Istanbul and she comes across as a nice person to me.

Did the fact that you were the only female star present on the sets get you a special treatment?

Yes, in a way it definitely worked to my advantage. I was pampered extensively by Apoorva as well as Viveik and Zayed. The smallest of details, such as taking my shot after the rains would subside, were actually implemented while shooting in a foreign locale and that too in an action-thriller. Also, when I developed a ligament tear and couldn’t get into my boots since my legs were swollen, the entire team was there to lend moral support.

What is that one scene about your debut film that will stay with you in the times to come?

There were too many rib-tickling moments during the shoot. The one episode that I distinctively remember is when Viveik, Zayed and myself were supposed to jump off a building and run towards a car. We all ran as soon as we heard ‘action’ and guess what, I found myself running in the opposite direction!

No comments:

Label Cloud