Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I am too thick skinned to care for criticism: RGV

He might have faced enough brickbats for his super-flop Ram Goap Varma Ki Aag, filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma refuses to give up. The filmmaker is back with yet another underworld drama-Contract. Iram Mirza quizzed him on his fascination with the underworld.

First we had Satya, then it was Company and now it is underworld meets terrorism in Contract. What is your fixation with underworld?

Ram Gopal Varma: I basically have an affinity to dark subjects in terms of larger than life issues and if Company dealt with an organisation of gangsters, Contract deals with a new concept that is an alliance of terrorism and underworld.

There are about 40 new faces in this film. What is your fascination of working with new comers and making a star out of those fresh faces?

Ram Gopal Varma: When you see a new person, you take him or her for a character. They usually don’t carry baggages developed over time. Aadvik Mahajan is playing the protagonist. He has a very strong blend of vulnerability with intensity, which is what I was looking for the character.

Sarkar Raj got a lot of critical acclaim. Was it a relief after Ram Gopal Varma Ki Aag?

Ram Gopal Varma: I am too used to criticism over 18-years of my career. Ram Gopal Varma Ki Aag was special because it had a baggage of Sholay. It was not the first flop I made or it was not the last flop I would have made.

You tend to remain unfazed by all the criticism. Has something changed in Ram Gopal Varma after all this criticism?

Ram Gopal Varma: No. I think I am too thick skinned.

No comments:

Label Cloud