Wednesday, July 16, 2008

'Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na was a wonderful experience' - Manjari Fadnis


When did you become a part of Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na? Was it Jhamu's decision to cast you?

No, I wasn't a part of the film at that stage. I went for the audition once Aamir Khan Productions had already taken over the project. Abbas's wife Pakhi called me for the audition and the next thing I knew I was doing the film. I guess everything happens for a reason.

Any fears about playing the second lead to begin with?

No, never! It was a small role but right at the audition when Abbas explained the role to me I knew it had a lot of meat. I would get a chance to portray a whole gamut of emotions and that was more than enough for me.

So, what has been the reaction to your debut film?

Well, let me clarify this was not my debut film. JTYJN was the first film I signed but my first release was Mumbai Salsa.

So, what is the response to JTYJN…

Very heartening. Of course, my friends and family have loved it but even people from the industry have been sending me congratulatory messages. It's a good feeling to be recognised in such an important role.

How did the director help you to prepare for the role?

Well, we were all packed off for a week to Panchgani. This was to help us get into the character. Our cell phones were confiscated and we could only call each other by our screen names. Like it had to be Jai not Imran or I was only called Meghna. In fact, Genelia missed her cell phone so much she even started crying one day.

Any kind of negative vibes with Imran Khan or Genelia?

You must be kidding. After that one week in Panchgani, we were all like one big family (if I hear that line one more time, I'm quitting journalism and joining a call centre). Imran is totally like his uncle Aamir Khan, he plays pranks with a straight face and had most of us in splits all the time.

You haven't been a part of the promotional package…

No. But then I always knew I wouldn't be. So, there is no question of feeling let down.

I believe Aamir Khan was constantly on the sets interfering…

On the contrary, he was so busy with Taare Zameen Par we never got to see him. Once in a while he would drop in, boost our morale and leave.

And Imran's girlfriend?

Oh, Avantika Malik is a real sweetheart. When positive reports about Imran Khan started flowing in there were tears in her eyes. She has prayed for his success and I'm glad things have worked out well for them.

How many tangible offers have you received after the release?

Well, none so far. But I'm confident they will happen sooner or later.

You still travel by bus. Doesn't that embarrass you a bit?

No, actually my car was already in Pune. My car had left the previous day with my dog. So, I was left with no option other than taking the bus.

What do you want for yourself in the near future?

See, acting already gives me a high so I have no regrets about my choice of career. But I do want my own place in Mumbai and enough money to indulge my parents and spoil myself. But I spoil myself constantly; I'm a spendthrift at the best of times.

What's your next release?

It's a film titled I’m 24 which has been directed by Saurabh Shukla and produced by Rajat Kapoor. It's due for release in September. I don't want to talk about it at this stage. I hope you see it.

No comments:

Label Cloud