Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I don't want to be masaledar hero: Ranvir Shorey



Ranvir Shorey, who was last seen in Sirf, is known for his offbeat roles in films like Mithya and Bheja Fry. We had a chat with actor about it.


Ranvir shorey

Why do you prefer being an actor as opposed to a hero?

It depends on what you want to become. I never planned to be a "hero". I always want to be an actor. Sometimes laalach mein aakar you want to play a lead role. But the role should have some substance in it. It should have something by which you can prove yourself. If I find the supporting role more interesting I do that.

Is that why you are always seen in offbeat roles?

Well I grew up as part of a generation that was quite sick of the mainstream cinema of that time. So keeping this in mind I could never see myself doing something that would come across as "typically mainstream". I always love to do something different.

Akshay Kumar had recently said that you are best actor of the modern generation. Your comments.

That's so sweet of him. I am working with him in Singh is Kinng and Chandni Chowk to China and it has been great. He is a great actor who can make you laugh and cry as well. I think it's more affection than truth that I am a great actor. Actually what happened inn dono filmon ke dauran humari nazdikiya itni badh gayi (laughs) that's why he must have said all this things.

Will we ever see you doing a Bollywood masaledar film like a Salman and Shah Rukh?

Why should I try to be SRK or Salman? We already have Big B so what's the point? People join the industry by looking at them but what we need is better actors. A lot of times actors play themselves on screen. I feel we need to shift from that trend and focus on doing different roles. My approach to cinema is different. I like challenges in life as in my roles. Quite frankly I am not the type of person who would feel safe in a rut doing the same kind of films over and over again.

What's the secret of your chemistry with Vinay Pathak?

Vinay? Oh we have been friends for the last ten years. We share a very good relationship. (Not the kind you are thinking). We clearly share demarcated privacy zones. We have been struggling in this industry for a long time now so I guess that is why we work together so well.

Which of your films is your favourite and what are your forthcoming projects?

I personally love Mithya not because I played the main role but because I have done two different kinds of roles in the same film. My upcoming films are Singh Is Kinng and Chandni Chowk to China with Akshay Kumar, then there is I am Chaubees directed by Saurabh Shukla, Teesri Manzil and Ugly aur Pagli with Mallika Sherawat.

No comments:

Label Cloud