Thursday, July 10, 2008

Prachi Desai on her debut film Rock on and being Bani on TV

When Prachi 'Bani' Desai burst onto the prime time scene in Ekta Kapoor's Kasamh Se, her popularity rivalled that of Tulsi and Parvati. While those who came before and after her are still stuck in the saas-bahu rigmarole, Prachi Desai smartly reinvented herself by winning the reality dance show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa. Now she is all set to debut opposite Farhan Akhtar in Rock On. And even before it hits the screens, Prachi Desai has already been signed on for Abbas-Mustan's next.

Firstly how did you bag Rock On?

I got a call from the Excel Productions office. I believe Gattu's (Director Abhishek Kapoor) mother used to watch Kasamh Se and she really liked me. So she suggested my name. I was doing Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa when they called me for the look test. I was among many other girls who they had auditioned. They liked what they saw and felt I suited the character well.

What was it that got you excited about this film?

For me the biggest reason to accept this film was the opportunity to work with Farhan Akhtar. I was in eighth standard when Dil Chahta Hai released and we all know what a rage that film was. And to be cast opposite him in his acting debut is a dream come true! So there was no way I could have turned down the offer! I was just so excited that I had to do Rock On. I am not a part of the band but it's an interesting role. I play Farhan's wife in the film. She is a sophisticated person yet simple at heart. I can't reveal more than that.

How is Farhan as a co-star?

Oh he is amazing! For almost three years my only co-star was Ram Kapoor. I was a little scared initially because Farhan is such a well-known director. When you work with someone so experienced, you are a little nervous. But he is also the most relaxed person to work with. I think he cracks 20 jokes every minute (laughs). Farhan makes sure the atmosphere on the sets is also equally chilled out. He was acting in the film and he left it at that. The director was given complete freedom to do what he wanted. There was zero interference in each other's jobs.

Were you always waiting for this switch from television? Or has Bollywood happened before you expected?

I have always wanted to be an actor, regardless of the medium. I was very happy with my daily show but Jhalak... gave me an amazing chance to showcase the real me. It got me the film offer; so I had three big projects happening simultaneously.
I was just too excited to think about the timing. I decided to give it a shot because this was an opportunity to do something different. I don't like to be stuck in one thing for long.

What do you think about your look in the film? And how much did you contribute to your styling?

My only contribution was to carry off the look. The entire team of stylists - Dipali, Shabana and Neharika have done a fantastic job. I think it's something unique for my fans, who are used to seeing me in one particular look. I really hope it comes across as a pleasant change for the viewers.

How different is acting in films from TV? What did you have to learn and unlearn?

I think the toughest part about the switch was getting Bani out of my system. I had been playing Bani for so many years, I'd recite Bani's dialogues in my sleep. Here, I had to act differently and make sure there aren't any shades of what the viewers have seen on television. Also we weren't working on a daily deadline of finishing 10 scenes. Here we used to do one scene a day! I could focus better and rest more.

So what should hardcore Prachi Desai fans expect from you in this film?

A completely new Prachi Desai! I have tried my best to look and act differently. I hope I am the eye candy in the film as everyone has worked so hard on my styling.

Are you a rock music fan?

I only know the band in Rock On. Otherwise I am a complete Bollywood person.

Rajeev Khandelwal doesn't want to get back to TV. Are you open to both mediums?

Absolutely. TV gave me a great start. And it was a wonderful journey. So even if I don't have to the time to do daily soaps I hope to be associated with TV through commercials or anchoring. At least I hope my work on TV is not forgotten.

Finally, have you got a chance to watch Kasamh Se after your exit and what do you think of it?

I think Kasamh Se was, is and will always be my favourite soap. For the first few days I didn't know what to do. After two and a half years of non-stop I shooting I finally got to spend some time home. So it was great getting up late and watching Kasamh Se in the afternoon.

1 comment:

ranjz106 said...

Prachi are you coming back to Kasamh se?if u are then when?plz plz plz come back!

Label Cloud