Friday, May 4, 2007

M S Raju - Interview


M S Raju is one of the most sensible filmmakers in Tollywood. He is highly successful producer and writer. After Deviputrudu bombed, he had given six hits in a row. Last year, he had tasted failure with Pournami. Now he hopes to get another six hits in a row starting with Aata starring Siddardha and Illeana. As the film readies up for release, he met up with a few journalists. Here are the excerpts from the long chitchat.

Tell us about Aata

Aata gives the experience of having a cold Bhadam Gheer in hot summer. It has shaped out well. Aata is the most romantic entertainer that I have done so far. My last film, Pournami, didn’t do well. Whatever be the reasons for it, Pournami was a lesson for me. Putting aside that, I made this film to get new encouragement and enlightenment.

Shiva was a sensation. Likewise, Okkadu created a new trend. I hope Aata will make a new trend as per as run time of the film is concerned. Only 12000 ft was shot for this film. All in all its run time will not exceed by 2 hours 15 minutes that includes six songs.

The pace of the film is so fast.

How is the response for the music?

Aata is one of the biggest audio hits in the recent times. I am pleased to share my happiness over the success of the music. Devi Sri Prasad has done excellent job.

Can you sum up the film’s story in one line?

“Sadinche Satta Unte Samaram Oka Sayyata.. Ade Aata”. The film is based on this single line. There is a message/social cause in the film too but it was told in lighter vein.

Aata is now into post-production. When you see it on the editing table, what aspects of the film you think click with the audiences?

We are sure that it makes people forget and everything and makes them laugh and fall in love with our hero and heroine. I believe hero Siddardh’s characterization is enough to make the film successful. It is one of best characterizations that a writer penned. Siddardh and Illeana is a beautiful pair. The chemistry between them is so good. In one word, Aata is like watching Raj Kapoor’s Bobby.

We have introduced a new villain Munna in this film. Aditya, Parachoori Brothers and I have worked on the script thoroughly. You won’t find any unnecessary scenes. As I said, it is very fast paced film. Chota K Naidu’s camera work is superb. This is the first time I am working with him. I might work with him again. Aata looks small but it is a big film.

In posters, one can see Siddardh taking film rolls on his bicycle. What is his role? Does the film have film industry as background?

Don’t ask about the story. Watch it on silver screen. Siddardh plays a character that is inspired by movies. He thinks that if our heroes can do heroic feats for good cause why can’t he. That is what Aata is all about. He has love problem and also solves it for good social cause.

You have written the story for this film. Any incidents or films inspired to write this?

Since Manasantha Nuvve, I have been providing scripts to my films. Yes, there are some real life incidents in the film. One can identify with them. But I don’t want to reveal them now.

This is the second time that you are working with Siddardha after Nuvvostanante Nenoddantana (NVNV)!

Yes, he is like my son. He has love and respects towards me. Today I need not to make films for money. It is passion for the films that I am doing. So I take my cast and crewmembers who have equal enthusiasm towards filmmamking. Siddardh is one such hero.

What changes have you noticed in Siddardha?

There is maturity in him now. Physically he is the same. But he is too intelligent. Someone rightly said about him – Balamedhavi (Child Prodigy).

People say that he ghost directs films and interferes in director’s work?

I believe that even a junior artiste should be told what he/she has to do. Only then that they can do justice to their work. As a star/hero, Siddardha has every right to know about his film and what is his director doing with him. I don’t feel nothing is wrong with he asking and making to understand the proceedings. I always let my artistes know everything about the film. So there is no question of he making us trouble. I had never been troubled nor did I trouble anyone.

It is said that you are very particular about taking Illeana for this film. What is the reason?

No, I never insist for any actor. But it is true that she is apt for this role. Recently Parachoori Gopalkrishna after seeing the rushes, she looked like a Raghavendra Rao heroine. Raghavendra Rao is a king of mass films.That was a great compliment.films. If some one compliments that we shot songs like him, what can more you ask for? She looks gorgeous. Youth will definitely like her more in this film.

Why did you choose Mamata Mohandasu first and then dropped her for this film?

We didn’t select Mamata Mohandasu for this film. We choose her for another film written by Harish Shankar. As I felt that it needs much more time to develop it properly, we dropped it off the project. We may take it up later. Illeana is chosen for Aata only.

How many days you have shot for Aata and with how many prints you are releasing it?

We have finished film in fastest time. In just 5 and months time, we have shot it and releasing it. On May 9th, Aata will hit the screens with about 150 prints. I hope this will be my birthday’s gift. (M S Raju’s birthday falls on May 10th).

What went wrong with Pournami?

Why rake up the past? Anyhow, I don’t have any regrets about the film. I don’t think I made wrong choice for choosing a period script or putting up a classical song like Bharata Vedamga. But I felt somewhere down the film we made mistakes in the script. When people watched a film like Lagaan, why couldn’t they enjoy Pournami. Only thing is that there is inherent flaw in the script.

What are your next films?

I am producing one film with Mahesh Babu titled Hare Rama Hare Krishna. Trivikram Srinivas is directing it. It will start in October. There will be another film. I will announce it on May 10th.

We heard that you are going to direct a film with your son as hero?

(Laughs and answers diplomatically). They are rumors. It is confirmed that my son makes entry as hero. But who directs him, I don’t know. It is too early. People are writing all things about Teja directing him or me taking up. I do have plans of making films with Teja, Gunashekar, etc. But nothing has been finalized.

But do have plans of turning director?

Yes.

No comments:

Label Cloud